Friday, October 30, 2009

I need to learn Braille?



After a long day touring Indiana, I returned to Springfield to help teach two dog agility classes plus assist Judy with an obedience class that lasted late into the evening. We were starving, so I asked Judy to join me for a late supper. It was 10:30 so we went to Perkins knowing they would be open and they didn't mind a service dog pup in tow. However, we weren't quite prepared for the response. I instructed Lilly under the table, and settled myself in the booth while the server gave us our menus. Quickly she returned with another menu, which I just figured was a dessert menu and then I looked at the cover realized it was a Braille menu for blind people. Being late, and me being a bit giddy, it struck me as really funny, and lost it laughing. I think I offended the poor girl, but thankfully since Judy works with deaf people she jumped in to save me. We explained to the server and her manager our situation and that despite my inappropriate reaction, she had in fact done exactly the right thing - if in doubt, make sure the guest has anything necessary to accommodate them.

And the service dog in training decided it was way past her bedtime. When we left just before midnight, I told Lilly to "stand" - no response. I called her name, no response. She had gone into full out sleep mode and I actually had to kneel on the floor, reach under the table and tap her gently to wake her. She woke with that "where am I" expression on her face. I guess puppies are like little kids, when it's bedtime, they can fall asleep anywhere.

1 comment:

  1. That's the funniest story ever!! Bailey says you should write a memoir. Think about it!

    ReplyDelete