Thursday, May 27, 2010

A Day in Pictures

What an interesting and variable weather day it was yesterday. Lilly and I took a three mile bike ride at around 7 and it was much warmed than anticipated for that hour. Had to take another shower before heading off for breakfast and to the downtown Farmers Market. Happily, two different passers-by reached down and stuffed donations into Lilly's vest while we were there.

We then headed of to the Toyota service center for an oil change. They do a good job, but always take forever.


This look says it all. "Aren't they done yet?"

"Oh well, the cool tiles are good for a nap."

And I enjoyed the cookies they offer.


We ran a bunch of errands and practiced commands at the hardware stores, but it was 93 degrees by then and Lilly's sluggish pace suggested she really didn't care that I need some mulch from the garden center. She did like walking through the cool puddles created by a leaking hose. So, we headed to Starbucks to enjoy an iced coffee (me) and nap (her) while I worked on my laptop.

Practicing the "stand" command in the bathroom. 
I don't like her sitting on bathroom floors.

While there, a huge storm erupted, third day in a row. This one dropped over 4 inches of rain in just a few hours. It also hailed a bit. They lost power at Starbucks so everyone, staff included, just sat around and played on our respective phones in the semi-dark. No one wanted to go out in the weather.
Lilly slept through it all.

Leaving for home, I saw what 4 inches of rain does and discovered the temperature had dropped from 93 down to 67.

Views of Washington Park.
This should be a lazy waterway and a large parking lot. Just a large pond now.

Anyone familiar with the park will recognize the bridge and know there should be two lagoons separated by a walking path. Now just one very large body of water creeping into the woods. The water would normally be 4-5 feet below the bridge but was just running just under. Many, many other roads in town were flooded or turned into rushing creeks. I can't believe the number of stupid people I saw attempting to drive through standing water. The news reported many people found out the hard way that wasn't a good idea.



After the weather had receded somewhat, and while going to make sure Jane's house was OK (it was,) I found this poor guy crossing a road. The road is nowhere near a pond so I'm not sure where he had started his day. But he was rather panicked and not interested in hiding. I decided to give him a lift to a pond.

Bracing himself for anything!

The sun came out and the evening was beautiful if not still a bit soggy in some parts of town. 
This gave me a chance to unclog a few streetside storm drains that had become packed with debris.

Though beautiful this morning as I write, the forecast for today says possible storms. 
Ah, life in Central Illinois!

No comments:

Post a Comment